AUBURN – The Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art at Auburn University will celebrate the museum’s fourth birthday on Sunday, Oct. 7, beginning at 1 p.m. and offering activities for all ages.
The museum opened to the public on Oct. 3, 2003 and has hosted more than 100,000 visitors including area school children, AU students and faculty, community members and regional tourists.
The photograph to the left portrays the artist and Opelika native, Roger Brown, in his youth and on the go in a pedal car built by his father. In honor of Roger Brown, JCSM will host a bicycle parade for ages 12 and under on the grounds of the museum.
The festivities begin at 1 p.m. with bicycle decorating activities, face painting by AU art students, balloon art by Dr. Magic, an art scavenger hunt, sketching in the galleries and other hands-on activities for children and adults. The event culminates in a tasting of fanciful birthday cakes created by top local pastry chefs and singing “Happy Birthday.”
Schedule of events:
– 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. – Museum open to public free of charge
– 1 p.m. – Bicycle decorating
– 1 p.m. – Face painting by AU art students
– 2 p.m. – Scavenger hunt, sketching in the galleries and other hands-on activities
– 2 p.m. – Dr. Magic balloon creations
– 3 p.m. – Appearance by Aubie and Miss Auburn University
– 3 p.m. – Bicycle parade led by Aubie for ages 12 and under
– 3:45 p.m. – Auburn High Varsity Singers performance
– 4 p.m. – Birthday cake
The JCSM birthday celebration is sponsored by Ursula’s Catering, The Gourmet Tiger Bakery, Sweet Dreams Treat Shoppe, Wal-Mart of Auburn, Kroger of Auburn, Kroger of Opelika, Bruno’s, Party Depot and Coca-Cola Opelika Sales Center.
To learn more about the JCSM’s exhibitions, programming or membership please call (334) 844-1484 or visit our Web site at www.jcsm.auburn.edu.
Contact: Andy Tennant, (334) 844-3081 (firstname.lastname@example.org), or
Mike Clardy, (334) 844-9999 (email@example.com)