AUBURN – The Auburn University Foundation recently received 248 acres of timberland valued at $1.26 million from the estate of Clinton McClure.
The gift will benefit the Clinton McClure Fund for Excellence in the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences which sustains an annual fellowship in McClure’s name. The fund provides enhancement funds for faculty, graduate students or undergraduate students.
McClure graduated with a bachelor’s degree in general business from Alabama Polytechnic Institute in 1932. During his career, he worked for W. T. Smith Lumber Company and for a consulting business that had a contract with Alison Lumber Company. He also became a registered forester and a registered land surveyor.
McClure donated the land to the AU School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences with the stipulation the school maintain and manage the land in perpetuity, using a sustainable forestry approach, with the purpose of earning income from the long-term management of its timber rather than from proceeds from the sale of the land.
“He was an active manager who understood the long-term aspect of forest management, and believed in use of the forest for production of forest products, wildlife habitat, recreation and aesthetic enjoyment,” said Richard Brinker, dean of the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences. “We will manage his forestland with the same love and respect that Mr. McClure had for his forest. We are grateful to the legacy of Clinton McClure for his planned gift in support of the school and of Auburn University.”
The “It Begins at Auburn” Campaign encompasses all colleges and schools as well as the AU libraries and museums, athletics and Auburn University Montgomery. Endowments for student scholarships, faculty, programs and unrestricted dollars make up 58 percent of the campaign’s goal. In addition to endowments, the campaign will focus on facilities and equipment, campus beautification, research and current operations.