AUBURN UNIVERSITY – The Auburn University Board of Trustees today approved a new, five-year Strategic Plan to guide the university’s direction by focusing on five priorities through 2018, including an emphasis on preparing students for success, increasing graduation rates and supporting faculty excellence.
The plan calls for Auburn to enhance student success by increasing workforce readiness, diversify enrollment, increase accessibility and increase eLearning programs; support faculty excellence and strengthen Auburn’s reputation; enhance research, scholarship and creative work; become a national model for public engagement; and focus resources on institutional priorities.
“We believe it is a bold plan that will strengthen Auburn’s role and prominence as an outstanding land-grant institution,” said Provost Timothy Boosinger, who helped develop the plan with a Strategic Planning Steering Committee that included faculty, student and staff representatives, in addition to members of faculty governance and university administrators.
President Jay Gogue appointed Boosinger in 2012 to lead the effort to develop the plan, which follows the previous one instituted in 2008.
“The new plan will help us prepare for the ever-changing educational landscape while we also maintain our longstanding strategic commitments in instruction, research and outreach,” Gogue said. “Auburn has a great history of outstanding programs and we look forward to continuing to be a leader in traditional areas in addition to emerging disciplines.”
Highlights of the five priorities are:
- Enhance Student Success and Diversify Enrollment – Auburn will engage students in career development programs earlier in their academic career; increase first-year retention and six-year graduation rates; diversify enrollment by increasing the number of new freshmen Pell Grant recipients and adding more international students to the undergraduate population; develop at least three fully online undergraduate degree programs; fully implement the Professional Career ePortfolio project; and establish a Freshman Advising Center for students with undeclared majors.
- Support Faculty Excellence and Strengthen Auburn’s Reputation – Auburn will develop incentives for outstanding faculty accomplishments, including scholarly achievement, innovative teaching, outstanding public engagement and service; increase salary and benefit packages to be closer to regional averages for flagship public universities; and enhance faculty satisfaction.
- Enhance Research, Scholarship and Creative Work – Auburn will strengthen programs in key areas including cyber security, energy and the environment, health sciences, food systems and security, STEM education (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) and transportation; increase National Science Foundation research funding; generate more federally funded research; advance the health sciences initiative through more partnerships with health education entities; and add more opportunities for students to participate in research and creative scholarship.
- Enhance Public Engagement – Auburn will become a national model for public engagement and increase the number of students participating in outreach and extension programs; strengthen partnerships with other land-grant institutions; increase the number of participants in the Hispanic Extension programs; increase the number of youth who participate in 4-H programs; and increase the number of low-resource families participating in health and wellness programs.
- Focus Resources on Institutional Mission and Priorities — Auburn will achieve excellence in organizational stewardship by aligning resources with institutional priorities; develop a comprehensive plan for building continuing education and eLearning programs as sources of revenue; cultivate important funding opportunities during the next comprehensive fundraising campaign; complete a strategic operations and facilities plan in Athletics; and increase the university’s sustainability ratings among colleges and universities.
The complete Strategic Plan is available here.